Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What search engine rankings mean to your success
Noele
post Aug 19 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Contributer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

According to recent statistics, more than 1 billion people used the Internet in 2005 (Source: Nielsen/NetRatings). Web users spend twice as much time online as watching TV (Source: Stanford Institute for the Quantitative Study of Society).

Consumers spent $143.2 billion online in 2005, 22 percent more than the previous year (Source: ComScore) and this trend is set to increase as more homes become connected to high speed broadband services.

A survey conducted by market research firm TNS revealed that 75% of all online shoppers said that company size was not a factor in having their online shopping needs satisfied. Only 15% said they preferred to shop with large retailers (Source: TNS).

More than 80% of all Internet users find new web sites through search engines (Source: Georgia Tech/GVU Users Survey). That means that about 650 million people use search engines to find web sites.

Search engine users are some of the most qualified and motivated visitors to your web site you will ever have. After all, they have taken the initiative to hunt for online resources on a certain topic. And then they clicked your link to learn more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SaCrow
post Aug 25 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 154

SEO is Site Engine Optimization. With this you could increase your PR page rank in the search engines to attract more visitors to your site. You could increase your PR by submitting your site to directories like Google or Yahoo and also put your keyworks in the order of most important.

+Quote Post
Noele
post Aug 25 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Contributer

Submitting a site to search engines and directories is not as important as it once was. Whilst on-page optimizing is still important, off-page or external factors are becoming more important when it comes to ranking factors.

The emphasis however is shifting on accuracy and indications are text links using target keywords having more weight than those with just the domain name.

Check out this post for more details:
Search Engine Optimization

+Quote Post
Itarromanny
post Mar 25 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #4

Group: Pro Member
Member No.: 239

im getting a similar problem to this as well.

I can search for MG ZT or MG ZS no problem and i get the results

When i search for Rover 45 i get page cannot be displayed or something.

Then i read this and typed in exactly what i was looking for "Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur" and I still get a page cannot be displayed error.

Does anyone know how to sort this?

+Quote Post
Noele
post Mar 25 2010, 07:24 AM
Post #5

Contributer

QUOTE (Itarromanny @ Mar 25 2010, 01:04 AM) *
im getting a similar problem to this as well.

I can search for MG ZT or MG ZS no problem and i get the results

When i search for Rover 45 i get page cannot be displayed or something.

Then i read this and typed in exactly what i was looking for "Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur" and I still get a page cannot be displayed error.

Does anyone know how to sort this?

Page not found, or 404 Error Pages, are usually because the pages in question are no longer available and the webmaster has not provided a redirect or indeed the domain no longer exists, but search engines continue to list it in their index.

I have over 1,400 results for the search term Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur in my search.
www.fleetnews.co.uk/cars/review/rover-45-connoisseur-v6
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk
to list just two which do exist.

My advice would be to try using a different search engine, there are hundreds of thousands of them! I used Alexia (which is powered by Google) simply because it is in the toolbar of this browser. Search engines deliver results based upon the words used by webmasters on individual web pages. Different search engines process and rank these using different algorithms.

The second one of my links has this right at the top of the page header:
<meta name="keywords" content="information, connoisseur, 45, &, v6, rover, spare, parts, advice, car">
<meta name="description" content="Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur Spare Parts Wanted or For Sale">

This is the reason it was presented near the top of page one of the results page; the search engine regarded it relevant to the search term Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur because the page contained that term in one a position of merit.

Top Tips When Searching:
  • Use different search engines. Google, Yahoo and Bing may be the big top three but you can easily get swamped with results.
  • Choose your search term carefully. The more words you use the fewer the results you may get which are relevant however, you are relying on that search term being mentioned on a web page somewhere.
  • Think laterally and literally. Rover 45's are no longer made so think "second hand market", "car parts", and even "scrap". A webmaster is not going to create a page to specifically target each and every item but they will categorize them and often have a "Search This Site" search box.

+Quote Post
Proomnemn
post Mar 15 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,618

In terms of getting a search engine to put you anywhere near the top of their results you will find you have to have a fair few links to your site. So if the search engine doesnt find your site naturally then its likely that only people searching for your sites name will find it.

+Quote Post
stefimics
post Mar 22 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,018

I like to think of delta as the "change in" or the "difference of". As an example lets take the slope formula. It is y-y2/x-x2. y-y2 can also be written as delta y. Same with the xs. So you could rewrite this formula as delta y / delta x.

Similarly with your formula - Vs = Delta d / Delta t - its division of difference in distance and difference in time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Software4me
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 01:49 PM